Course ObjectiveThe student learns
- To independently prepare a transdisciplinary research design and
develop this into a research proposal (under supervision)
- Execute collection of published evidence on the topic
- To independently collect, process and analyse research data
- To integrate former knowledge and skills into the research
- To work independently and responsibly in a research organisation
- To independently integrate theory and research data and to
develop this into a research report (under supervision)
- To critically reflect on their own working methods and experience
- To monitor the quality of the research
- To deal with uncertainties
- To present the research orally and to defend it before a
Course ContentIn this first research internship, a concrete problem will be structured
along descriptive (what is it about?) and analytical (what is the
underlying cause?) questions. In this analysis a distinction is make
between different levels of aggregation (individual, group, society,
system) and appropriate monodisciplinary and transdisciplinary research
The student starts with a scan of the literature to place the the
specific problem in context relative to comparable problems, and to
interpret it by means of existing global health system models. This
provides the basis for the main question and relevant sub-questions and
will determine the research methodology. Data collection can take place
via questionnaires and qualitative interviews.
The research project lasts 5 months and is supervised by a scientific
employee from one of the three collaborating partners (VU, UvA, AMC).
Teaching MethodsIndividual supervision, meetings with the research team, progress
Method of AssessmentWritten report, oral presentation. All parts need to be passed (6.0).
Entry RequirementsStudents need to have passed the exams of 24 EC of the
courses of year 1 and the practical exercises before they can start
their Research Project Global Health.
Target AudienceFirst-year students MSc Global Health
Additional InformationObligatory component for Global Health students
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Course Coordinator||dr. E.V. Syurina MSc|
|Examiner||prof. dr. J.E.W. Broerse|
You need to register for this course yourself
Last-minute registration is available for this course.