Course ObjectiveCompetences according to the General Educational framework Dentistry
2008 are: I a-j (5), II (5), VI a, b, e-i, l, o-u (5)
• is familiarized/ has adequate knowledge on vital pulp therapies such
as pulpotomies and revascularization procedures and understand the
physiological rationale for such treatments.
• has in depth knowledge in restoration of endodontically treated teeth
including concepts such as post-cast systems, full cuspal composite
restorations and crowns.
• has in depth knowledge about discoloration of teeth and indications
and contraindications of internal and external bleaching procedures.
• has in depth knowledge about hypersensitive of denting and relative
Course ContentThis course is meant to thoroughly cover topics related to clinical
complications related to root canal treatment. A combination of
theoretical seminars, self-study and assignments will be held weekly.
The topics within this course are:
- Restorative aspects after root canal treatment
- Dentinal sensitivity and treatment options
- Vital pulp therapies
Teaching MethodsSeminars; Assignments; Projects; Working group; Presentation; Clinics
Method of AssessmentLearning assessment
• Overall assessment of assignments during the seminars (grade: Good;
Pass; or Fail)
• Written exam (grade: 1-10).
• A prerequisite for grade registration (grade 1-10) is successful
completion of the seminar assignments. In case of a fail for one or more
of the seminar assignments and a pass for the final exam, a 5.0 will be
registered and students will need to retake the relevant seminar
Literature• 3 textbooks (* compulsory reading):
- “Pathways of the Pulp” Hargreaves & Cohen *
- “Essential Endodontology” Orstavik & Pitt Ford
- “Problem solving in endodontics” Hulsmann & Shaefer*
- “Textbook of Endodontology” – Bergenholtz & Reit *
• Reader with selected research papers – all are compulsory reading
Additional InformationEntry requirements: successfully completed the Endodontology profile
courses of the 2nd year.
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Dentistry|
|Course Coordinator||dr. H. Shemesh|
|Examiner||dr. H. Shemesh|
drs. A.K. Braun
dr. H. Shemesh
You need to register for this course yourself