Course ObjectiveCompetences covered according to the General Educational Framework
Dentistry 2008: I (4), II (4), III a-j, l, m (4), IV(4), V(4), VI a, b,
e, f, g, h, i, l ,o-u (4), VII (4)
• has In-depth knowledge of technical approach when treating a
painful tooth in the acute pulpits phase.
• has In-depth knowledge of technical possibilities in treating a
• has In-depth knowledge of the techniques and limitations of the
use of different files systems and obturation methods.
• has in-depth knowledge of diagnostics and case selection and is
able to perform:
- Initial endodontic treatments of uncomplicated anatomy
- Non-surgical retreatments
- All cases of DETI A
- Cases of DETI B class I
- In special situations DETI B class II and III could also be
performed under supervision of a 3rd year or a senior teacher
Course ContentDuring this clinical course, the student will diagnose and treat
patients in the endodontic clinic under guidance of a senior staff
Above mentioned cases are treated in the first year. The risk and
difficulty of every root canal treatment is determined by the Dutch
Endodontic Treatment Index (DETI) score according to Ree et al. (
International Endodontic Journal 2003)
- DETI A : uncomplicated case
- DETI B class I : complicated case with an average risk
- DETI B class II : complicated case with a high risk
- DETI B class III: complicated case with a very high risk
Further, the first-year students participate in the twice-weekly patient
discussions. During these meetings, all new patients are being
discussed, as well as patients whose treatment is evolving unexpectedly.
Teaching MethodsSelf-study; Patient discussions; Literature discussions; Participation;
Method of AssessmentLearning assessment
• Portfolio assessment
• Case presentations
• Good; Pass; or Fail.
Literature• Relevant clinical protocols and guidelines.
• Recent articles with a clinical focus/relevance.
Additional InformationEntry requirements: The student needs to have passed the Clinical
Introduction in Oral Endodontology successfully before being admitted to
the First-year Clinical Course.
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Dentistry|
|Course Coordinator||dr. H. Shemesh|
|Examiner||dr. H. Shemesh|
drs. B.M.T. Tulp
dr. A.R. Ozok
drs. A.K. Braun
dr. H. Shemesh
You need to register for this course yourself