Course ObjectiveCompetences according to the General Educational Framework Dentistry
2008 are: I a-j (5), II (5), VI (5).
• has an understanding of the anatomy of the teeth and surrounding
• is able to explain the rationale for endodontic surgery and the
difference between past concepts and current microsurgery concepts.
• is familiarized with current procedures to perform apical
surgery. He must also critically assess different methodologies and
materials utilized for surgery.
• acknowledges the limitations and risks of periapical surgery and
is familiarized with contraindications for endodontic surgery.
• is able to take intra oral images during endodontic surgery for
• is able to utilize CT scans for diagnostic purposes as
preparation for surgery.
Course ContentDuring this clinical course, the student will diagnose and treat
patients in the endodontic clinic under supervision of a staff member of
the surgery team. Furthermore, the third-year students participate in
the twice-weekly patient discussions, in which the clinical staff of the
endodontic clinic is involved. During those meetings, all new patients
are discussed, as well as patients whose treatment is
evolving unexpectedly. The apical surgery-treatment plans are discussed
with a staff member of the surgery team.
Teaching MethodsSelf-study; Seminars; Working group; Presentation; Pre-clinical lab
work; Clinical work
Method of AssessmentLearning assessment
• Overall assessment of assignments during the seminars (grade: Good;
Pass; or Fail)
• Presentation (of all clinical cases including those where (CB)CT scans
were used) (grade: 1-10) including a surgery portfolio (collection of
all discussed clinical cases) (grade: Good; Pass; Fail)
• A prerequisite for grade registration (grade 1-10) is successful
completion of the seminar assignments. In case of a fail for one or more
of the seminar assignments and a pass for the presentation, a 5.0 will
be registered and students will need to retake the relevant seminar
Literature• Relevant clinical protocols and guidelines.
• Recent articles with a clinical focus/relevance.
Additional InformationEntry requirements: Student muast have successfully completed the 2nd
year course in
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Dentistry|
|Course Coordinator||dr. H. Shemesh|
|Examiner||drs. B.M.T. Tulp|
drs. B.M.T. Tulp
drs. F. Dommering
You need to register for this course yourself