Course ObjectiveCompetences covered according to the General Educational Framework
Dentistry 2008: I a-j (4), II (4), VI b, g, h, l, m, o (4)
• is able to perform an extensive functional examination for the
diagnosis of TMD/orofacial pain.
• is able to make bite registration for the fabrication of an OSS.
• is able to perform a dental examination of an OSA patient.
• is able to make bite registration for the fabrication of a MAD.
• is able to perform an extensive examination of a tooth wear
• is able to execute the procedures of building up a worn dentition
with composite materials in a preclinical setting.
Course ContentThis clinical course is designed to bring the first-year students on a
basic level for examining and treating TMD and OSA (straightforward
level of skills), in a team with a third-year student and under
supervision of a staff member of the OPD clinic. The basic training
deals with the following topics:
• Examination for the diagnosis of TMD/orofacial pain
• Examination of an OSA patient and of a tooth wear patient
• Bite registration
• Building up a worn dentition
Further, the first-year students participate in the weekly patient
discussions and participate in the OPD clinic as assistants of third-
year students. The students document their clinical activities in a
structured way in a portfolio. Whenever they pass the test, they will be
allowed in the OPD clinic to see their own (simple) TMD patients at the
start of the second semester.
Teaching MethodsSelf-study; Training and preclinical work; Clinical work; Patient
discussions; Clinical literature discussions
Method of AssessmentLearning assessment
• Portfolio assessment
• Good; Pass; or Fail.
Literature• Relevant clinical protocols and guidelines.
• Recent articles with a clinical focus/relevance.
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Dentistry|
|Course Coordinator||dr. P. Wetselaar|
|Examiner||dr. P. Wetselaar|
dr. P. Wetselaar
dr. G. Aarab
dr. M. Koutris
prof. dr. F. Lobbezoo
prof. dr. C.M. Visscher
You need to register for this course yourself