Course ObjectiveCompetences covered according to the General Educational Framework
Dentistry 2008: I a-j (5), Il 5),
• can recognize (i.e., definitions, epidemiology, and multidisciplinary
diagnosis) the different types of orofacial pain
• knows, understands, summarizes, applies, analyses, and evaluates the
possible causes and effects of the different types of orofacial pain.
• knows, understands, summarizes, applies, analyses, and evaluates all
aspects related to the multidisciplinary treatment and prognosis of the
different types of orofacial pain.
Course ContentDuring this course, all non-dentoalveolar and non-musculoskeletal pains
that may occur in the orofacial area will be covered. This is a highly
multidisciplinary topic, in which the input is required from dental,
psychological, and physiotherapeutic specialists. The course builds on
the introductory course as well as on the one that covers TMD. Main
focus will be on differential diagnosis, and on the tasks and
responsibilities of the dentist in the multidisciplinary arena of
Teaching MethodsSelf-study; Seminars; Research (PICO-format); Written assignment.
Method of AssessmentLearning assessment
• Overall assessment of assignments during the seminars (grade: good /
pass / fail)
• Paper or presentation (grade: 1-10)
A prerequisite for grade registration (grade 0-10) is successful
completion of the seminar assignments. In case of a fail for the seminar
assignment(s), and a pass for the final exam, a 5.0 will be registered
and students will need to redo the relevant seminar assignment(s).
Literature• Sessle BJ, Lavigne GJ, Lund JP, Dubner R (eds). Orofacial pain: From
basic science to clinical management. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing
Co, Inc, 2008. Capita selecta
• Türp JC, Sommer C, Hugger A (eds). The puzzle of orofacial pain.
Integrating research into clinical management. Basel: Karger, 2007.
• Zakrzewska JM (Editor). Orofacial pain. Oxford, UK: University Press,
2009. Capita selecta
• Reader with selected research papers
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Dentistry|
|Course Coordinator||dr. M. Koutris|
|Examiner||dr. M. Koutris|
dr. M. Koutris
prof. dr. C.M. Visscher
drs. C.J. Warnsinck
drs. W. Knibbe
You need to register for this course yourself