Course Objective• In-depth knowledge of principles of biological psychology, cognitive
psychology and learning developmental and social psychology (a.o.
theories of child development, age and stages, life span development,
person perception, attitudes and social influences on behavior)
• In-depth knowledge and experience in assessing behavior problems and
apply behavior management techniques
• Knowledge of psychological, ethical and philosophical aspects of the
Course ContentOne of the corner stones of paediatric dentistry is to gain a profound
understanding of the development and perception of children. Within this
module, the students will be provided an intensive course in order to
gain a good insight in the (developmental) psychology and
psychopathology of children. Normal development and the most frequently
occurring psychological disturbances in paediatric dentistry will be
discussed. Some of the problems have direct (behavioral) consequences
for the interaction with the child during dental treatment. Some of the
problems are developmental by nature and can be changed during the
growth of the child; some on the other hand mean a lifetime drawback for
Teaching MethodsSeminars; Assignments
Method of AssessmentLearning assessment
Theoretical exam, open and multiple choice questions (grade 0-10)
Pass for this course is achieved with a grade of 5.5 or higher.
Literature• Van Amerongen W, Berendsen W, Martens L, Veerkamp J.
Kindertandheelkunde I. Bohn Stafleu van Loghem; 2001.
• Van Amerongen W, Berendsen W, Martens L, Veerkamp J.
Kindertandheelkunde II. Bohn Stafleu van Loghem; 2004.
• Verhulst FC (2008) De ontwikkeling van het kind. Van Gorcum: Assen.
• Siegler R, DeLoache J, Eisenberg N (2011) How children develop. Worth
Publishers: New York
• Verhulst FC, Verheij F, Danckaerts M (2014) Kinder- en
Jeugdpsychiatrie. Van Gorcum: Assen.
• Verhulst FC (2015) Leerboek Kinder- en Jeugdpsychiatrie
• Reader with selected research papers
Target AudienceOHS Paediatric Dentistry
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Dentistry|
|Course Coordinator||dr. C.C. Bonifacio DDS|
|Examiner||dr. C.C. Bonifacio DDS|
You need to register for this course yourself