Course ObjectiveAfter this course, the student should be:
• familiar with basic principles and techniques of statistics
• able to apply these principles and techniques to data using the
statistical package R
• able to present results of statistical analyses in a clear, concise
• able to interpret and critically evaluate these results.
Course Content• Summarising data
• basics of probability theory
• estimating means and proportions
• hypothesis testing for one- and two-sample problems
• correlation and linear regression
• contingency tables.
Teaching MethodsLectures and exercise/computer classes
Method of AssessmentAssignments and written exam
Entry RequirementsBasic mathematics and programming skills
LiteratureElementary Statistics, by Mario Triola, 12th edition, Pearson new
international edition, ISBN: 9781292039411.
Target AudiencePremaster CS
Recommended background knowledgeCalculus
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Course Coordinator||S. de Jong|
|Examiner||dr. D. Dobler|
S. de Jong
You need to register for this course yourself
Last-minute registration is available for this course.
|Teaching Methods||Seminar, Lecture, Practical|
This course is also available as: