This course is offered in Dutch. Some of the descriptions may therefore only be available in Dutch.
Course ObjectiveThis course is part of the curriculum strand Ethnographic Research. The
aim of this course is to teach students to conduct ethnographic
research, using existing literature and empirical data.
Knowledge and understanding – The student has acquired knowledge and
(1) a specific thematic or regional specialization;
(2) the methods and techniques of social scientific research;
(3) the possibilities and limitations of ethnographic research methods;
(4) the fields of anthropological research.
Application – The student has acquired the competences to:
(5) to formulate an academic research question, and to analyse a
societal problem using existing literature and empirical data
(6) collaborate in ethographic research and present the result, both in
written form and orally;
(7) apply scientific theories and concepts to the analysis of practical
Learning skills – The student has acquired the skills to:
(8) collaborate in a group.
Course ContentIn the preceding course Challenges of the 21st Century (4th period) the
student have been introduced to a number of challenges to contemporary
societies. These will serve as a source of inspiration for empirical
research in this course.
Method of AssessmentResearch report and oral presentation.
Entry RequirementsActieve deelname aan Ethnograhic Research Methodology
LiteratureTo be announced in the course manual (see CANVAS).
Target Audience1st year students in the bachelor Cultural Anthropology and Development
Custom Course RegistrationIn this course you can not enroll yourself for the tutorials, but you will be assigned by the course coordinator. Note: You do have to register for the course, including the remaining corresponding parts!
|Language of Tuition||Dutch|
|Faculty||Faculty of Social Sciences|
|Course Coordinator||dr. L.A. Brouwer|
|Examiner||dr. L.A. Brouwer|
dr. L.A. Brouwer
You need to register for this course yourself
|Teaching Methods||Lecture, Practical*|
*You cannot select a group yourself for this teaching method, you will be placed in a group.