Course ObjectiveIn the Environment and Resource Master (ERM) program, students gain
knowledge and learn about multidisciplinary approaches and methods for
analyzing and addressing societal aspects of problems relating to
natural resources and the environment. The Environmental Policy course
contributes to the ERM’s aim by introducing students to the actors,
institutions and instruments relevant for designing and implementing
environmental policies at the local, national and supranational levels.
It also introduces various evaluation techniques for analyzing the
environmental policy in an increasingly complex world.
After this course, students should be able to:
1. Describe the public and private actors and institutions involved in
environmental governance at local, national and supranational levels.
2. Evaluate the effectiveness and legitimacy of environmental governance
at local, national and supranational levels.
3. Explain, analyze and propose solutions regarding the complexity of
decision-making structures, procedures and negotiations of environmental
4. Communicate the acquired knowledge from the course on the basis of a
written assignments and a written exam.
Course ContentThe course consists of four components:
1. Introduction: An introduction to environmental governance, including
key concepts and the policy process
2. Hierarchy: An introduction to traditional environmental policy
working through command-and-control, primarily carried out by public
actors such as States
3. Markets: An introduction to market-based governance, primarily
4. Networks: An introduction to networked environmental governance,
primarily the functioning and effects of partnerships, labelling
initiatives, and actor networks (with a focus on non-state actors)
Teaching MethodsThe course is worth 6 ECTS points which corresponds to 150 hours of work
per student. The course is based on a series of lectures.
Method of Assessment1. Written assignment (50%)
2. Final exam (50%)
LiteraturePlease see syllabus on Canvas.
Target AudienceMaster students
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Course Coordinator||O.E. Widerberg|
You need to register for this course yourself
Last-minute registration is available for this course.
|Teaching Methods||Seminar, Lecture|
This course is also available as: