Course ObjectiveAt the end of the course, students should be able to:
1. Understand the recent developments in the field discussed
2. Identify some of the key theoretical perspectives and thinkers
related to topic
3. employ theoretical perspectives in the analysis of a specific case
4. critically assess claims made in scholarly texts.
5. communicate an academic analysis of key issues in writing.
Course ContentThe lecture series offers MA students of Arts and Culture insights
into current research issues related to the arts, media, design or
heritage, while introducing them to one of the classical formats of
humanities practice in the professional
field, which is the scholarly lecture and debate. Students get
acquainted with research topics of faculty members from the VU, as these
resonate nationally and internationally. On a broader scope, the lecture
series is intended to offer a platform for conversation and discussion
across the academic community that goes beyond the borders of a singular
Teaching MethodsSeminar. The seminar will comprise three lectures, each organized around
a series of readings. In addition to the lectures, we will organize
three one-hour sessions to discuss the readings.
- 3 x two-hour lectures; one per month.
- Each seminar will include a guest speaker.
- Lecture breakdown
• Introduction to the day’s topic/speaker
• Guest lecturer (1hour)
• General discussion
• Follow-up discussion with students about readings.
Method of AssessmentAttendance and discussion (P/F) and an essay of 1000 words related to a
topic/reading of the class
Matching of course objectives and assessement forms:
Attendance and discussion (P/F) Course objectives 1,2,4
Final paper (100 %) Course objectives 1,2,3, 4, 5
LiteratureWill be provided.
Target AudienceMandatory for students of the MA Arts and Culture (CAMS, Design
Cultures, Art History, Architectural History). Open to other MA students
|Period||Ac. Year (sept)|
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|Course Coordinator||dr. A.W. Badenoch|
|Examiner||prof. dr. G.E.E. Verstraete|
J.L. Adriaanse MA
dr. A.W. Badenoch
prof. dr. G.E.E. Verstraete
You need to register for this course yourself
Last-minute registration is available for this course.
This course is also available as: