Course ObjectiveTo be able to use musculoskeletal ultrasound for research and diagnosis
as well as and identification of relevant structures of the
• To be aware of pitfalls regarding the interpretation of US images
• able to report on an ultrasound assessment evaluation of the
shoulder or knee, based on a specific research question
Be familiar with imaging modalities CT, MRI, X-ray in physical therapy
related research and diagnostics and be able to 'read' these images on a
relatively basic level
• using x-ray: to be able to recognize signs of arthrosis and
• using MRI: to be able identify ACL injuries and rotator cuff
• using ultrasound: to be able to identify tendon and muscle
Course ContentIn this course students will be trained in working with ultrasound for
the analysis of musculoskeletal function, pathologies and of course
healthy structures. We will primarily focus on the shoulder and knee.
On a more general level, students will be introduced to other imaging
methods in orthopaedics: x-ray, MRI and CT. To this end, the course
contains expert lectures on these imaging modalities.
The course will comprise:
• classes on the basic theory behind x-ray, MRI, and ultrasound.
• classes on the recognition of a selection of musculoskeletal
disorders using images.
• Demo's and practicals regarding musculoskeletal ultrasound use for
research and diagnosis .
Teaching MethodsExpert lectures
Method of AssessmentInterim exam
Mini-research project report
Mini-research project presentation
This procedure can be found on Canvas. The grade will be round off at
Literaturewil be made available through Canvas
Target Audiencethis course is especially suitable for students who would like to
develop hand-on skills in the use of musculoskeletal ultrasound, both
for research and for clinical (diagnostic) applications.
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Fac. of Behavioural and Movement Science|
|Course Coordinator||prof. dr. H.E.J. Veeger|
|Examiner||prof. dr. H.E.J. Veeger|
prof. dr. H.E.J. Veeger
dr. R.T. Jaspers
You need to register for this course yourself
|Teaching Methods||Lecture, Practical*|
*You cannot select a group yourself for this teaching method, you will be placed in a group.