Course Objective- To provide hands-on experience with the most relevant methods used in
- To assess new data in the context of previous (published) studies.
- To introduce the basics of scientific reporting (written report and/or
Course ContentThe practical comprises a series of lectures, lab classes, discussion
meetings, concluded by a series of meetings during which the obtained
results will be written up in a short report and/or poster presentation.
During the practical a
marine and/or a terrestrial sediment core/section will be investigated.
The research includes core description, defining sampling strategy,
basic sample processing, determination of micropaleontological,
palynological, geochemical and geophysical sediment properties, and data
analysis. The emphasis will be on both long-term climate change
(glacial-interglacial time scale) and on millennial-scale climate change
records (e.g., Heinrich events, deglaciation). Participation in
lectures, laboratory work, oral presentations and discussion meetings
Teaching Methods- An introductory lecture will highlight the outline of the practical
- Lectures on palynology, marine micropaleontology, sedimentology and
- Students will be motivated to present and discuss the obtained results
during a series of discussion meetings.
- Laboratory work, data analysis, preparation of presentations.
Method of Assessment- Laboratory work (25 %)
- Oral presentations and participation in discussion meetings (25 %)
- Written report and/or poster presention (50 %)
LiteratureA course manual and list of selected literature (book chapters,
articles) will be made available via Canvas.
Target AudienceMaster students Earth Sciences
Recommended background knowledgeA recommended requirement is that students have participated in the
following master courses (period 1 and 2):
- Climate Systems (AM_1124)
- Landscape Dynamics (AM_450331)
- Marine Geology and Paleoclimatology (AM_450330)
- Tectonic Geomorphology (AM_450146)
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Science|
|Course Coordinator||dr. M.A. Prins|
|Examiner||dr. M.A. Prins|
dr. G.M. Ganssen
dr. M.A. Prins
dr. N.N.L. Van der Putten
You need to register for this course yourself
Last-minute registration is available for this course.
|Teaching Methods||Study Group, Practical, Reading, Excursion|
This course is also available as: