Course ObjectiveThe student:
- has knowledge, understanding and competences in the field of Engaged
- is able to analyze engaged Buddhism from various interdisciplinary
perspectives, engaging with buddhological, philosophical, hermeneutical,
political and ethical questions;
- can recognize, summarize and explain the dominant positions in the
field of Engaged Buddhism
- can integrate the insights from the course and use them to analyze and
discuss articles written by authoritative Buddhist thinkers;
- can integrate insights from this course and apply them to a case
- is aware of his/her own identity, fears, biases, and
theological,philosophical, ethical and hermeneutical prejudices in
engaging with Buddhist sources.
- has developed a capacity for metareflection on issues within the field
of Engaged Buddhism.
Course ContentThis course offers an analysis of the rapidly expanding field of Engaged
Buddhism. This term is used to refer to Buddhist scholars and
practitioners who are seeking ways to apply the insights from Buddhist
meditation practice and Buddhist teachings to situations of social,
political, environmental, and economic suffering and injustice, bringing
compassion into the world.
Overview of topics to be discussed:
1. Some important voices in Engaged Buddhism (Thich Nhat Hanh,
Humanistic Buddhism, Zen Peacemaker Order, David Loy)
2. Compassion in the Buddhist traditions and in contemporary
3. Engaged Buddhism in the Anthropocene: ecology and climate change
4. Interdisciplinary perspectives on Engaged Buddhism
Method of Assessment20%: Writing and presentation assignments
80%: final paper
Target AudienceThis module is part of the track Buddhism in Exploring a Discipline and
the Research Master.
|Language of Tuition||English|
|Faculty||Faculty of Religion and Theology|
|Course Coordinator||prof. dr. A.F.M. van der Braak|
|Examiner||prof. dr. A.F.M. van der Braak|
prof. dr. A.F.M. van der Braak
You need to register for this course yourself
Last-minute registration is available for this course.
This course is also available as: