Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThe main objective of this course is to obtain a basic knowledge of
botany and an understanding of the relationship between the most
important terrestrial primary producers (plants) and their biotic and
Specific aims are:
- understanding what plants are, why they are important and how they
- knowing how and when (terrestrial) plants evolved
- understanding how systematics and taxonomy work
- in relation to the previous aim, by the end of the course, being able
to identify plants using the “Heukels’ Flora van Nederland”
- being able to recognize and name the main native tree species of the
- obtaining general knowledge on the different vegetation districts of
- understanding that a given species often occurs together with others,
and that these species are part of a particular plant community that is
defined by biotic and abiotic factors, in other words understanding the
basics of ecology
- understanding that knowledge on plants and ecology is necessary for
investigating past vegetation and environmental changes (palaeobotany,
Inhoud vakThe course will be a mixture of lectures, practical assignments in class
(plant determination using a flora), excursion, paper presentations and
discussion meetings. The course also includes the making of a
- A general introduction (content of the course and requirements)
- An introduction to the Plant Kingdom
- The plant Kingdom in a geological and evolutionary perspective (dr. S.
- Plant morphology
- Introduction to Systematics and Taxonomy and how to use a flora.
- The vegetation of the Netherlands
- An introduction to a number of common flowering plant families and how
to recognize them
- Introduction to the flora of the Netherlands
- The principals of Ecology: from species to biomes
- Palaeoecology: (i) Introduction to Palaeoecology (principles,
archives and biological proxies) (ii) Introduction to the
palaeoecological evolution since the LGM in Western Europe (iii)
Hydrosere (from open water to a peat bog) and the link to plant
OnderwijsvormLectures, assignment photo herbarium (compulsory), excursions
(compulsary), practical plant
determination using a flora (compulsory), paper presentations
The course is in English. However, during the practical "determination
using a flora" the flora used in class is the Heukels' Flora van
Nederland (van der Meijden, 1996). This flora is in Dutch and no English
translation exists. For foreign students the "Collins Wild Flower Guide
(Streeter 2016)" in English will be available or students can bring an
own flora if they wish.
Toetsvorm- Written examination of the lectures (70% of the points)
- Photo herbarium (15% of the points)
- Paper presentation (15% of the points)
LiteratuurR. van der Meijden - Heukels' Flora van Nederland, 22e druk 1996 of
DoelgroepThe course is part of the minor Earth surface.
|Faculteit||Faculteit der Bètawetenschappen|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. N.N.L. Van der Putten|
|Examinator||dr. N.N.L. Van der Putten|
dr. N.N.L. Van der Putten
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
|Werkvormen||Hoorcollege, Excursie, Practicum|