Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThis course lays the foundations for your Academic and Research Skills.
The focus is on searching and using relevant academic and non-academic
sources, argumentation, academic writing in English including citing
sources, and presenting and discussing the results. You are supposed to
write an academic essay to demonstrate (the development of) your
Academic and Research Skills.
After successfully completing this course you:
- are able to collect valid and reliable information about a specific
topic, in particular a current socioeconomic debate (Academic and
- are able to write essays that have order and a logical structure
(Academic and Research Skills);
- are able to cite and acknowledge sources accurately and
completely(Academic and Research Skills) ;
- can write academic texts in correct English (grammar, spelling,
sentence structure, style and punctuation (Academic and Research
- are able to construct balanced argumentation (Academic and Research
- understand what science and scientific research refer to (Bridging
Theory and Practice – Knowledge);
- know the main characteristics of scientific research (Bridging Theory
and Practice – Knowledge);
- know what rationality refers to (Bridging Theory and Practice –
- are able to recognize the three types of rationality in socioeconomic
debates (Bridging Theory and Practice - Application);
- can construct argumentation schemes to analyze socioeconomic debates
(Bridging Theory and Practice - Application);
- you are able as a team member to give feedback to and receive it from
your ‘peers’ (Social Professional Skills);
- can use the feedback from your tutor and your peers to improve your
academic texts (Social Professional Skills);
- can present the main findings of your research to tutors and students
both in person (oral presentation) and in writing (essay) (Social
- are aware of the importance of academic skills during the bachelor’s
degree program, including citing and acknowledging sources accurately
and completely (Self-Awareness);
- are aware of academic integrity and ethical dilemmas in scientific
Inhoud vakThe Academic Skills course is part of the Academic Core of the Economics
and Business Economics program. The course is aimed at developing your
general research skills. This is done on the basis of a current economic
social debate. In a team you will write an academic essay that is based
on an extensive analysis of arguments (pro and con).
ToetsvormWritten exam - Individual assessment
Academic essay - Team assessment
NOTE: Obtaining study credits for this course is pending on fulfilling
your Language Test (Taaltoets) requirements.
LiteratuurTo be announced
|Faculteit||School of Business and Economics|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. G.P. Melker|
|Examinator||dr. G.P. Melker|
D.K. Brands MSc
dr. G.P. Melker
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: