Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThe aim of this course is to equip the student with the microeconomic
toolbox that is required to be able to structure and analyze economic
and policy questions in the fields of urban, regional, transport and
environmental economics from the economic viewpoint. These tools are
indispensable to successfully follow the remainder of the program.
By the end of the course the student will:
- be familiar with the main microeconomics principles, and know how to
analyze microeconomic problems using mathematical tools
- be familiar with the theory of spatial competition
- be familiar with the theory of cost functions for network sectors
- know the main concepts of consumer choice and firm behavior, and their
relevance for economic and welfare analysis
- be able to evaluate economic policy with regard to efficiency, and
know of the limitations to economic policy
- know possibilities and limitations in applied policy fields, such as
welfare analysis, regulation of industry, cost benefit analysis, and
policy coordination and competition
Inhoud vakThis course (Microeconomics for Urban, Transport and Environmental
Economics) will deal with topics that are of
special interest in urban, regional, environmental and transport
economics and policy.
The following topics are addressed:
- Applied welfare analysis
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Cost functions: economies of scale, scope, density and networks
- Market structures in network sectors
- Product and price differentiation (including spatial competition)
- Market failures and public policy
- Government failures: Policy coordination and competition
OnderwijsvormThere will be two lectures each week in which the emphasis is on the
teacher's explanation of the essential material. Active participation of
the students is, however, expected in all lectures: class discussions
and making small exercises to better comprehend the material will be
part of all lectures. The tutorials will be devoted to discussion of
problem sets and exercises, where active participation of students is
Vereiste voorkennisParticipants are expected to have a basic understanding of microeconomic
theory (bachelor level, e. g. Varian's Intermediate Microeconomics).
Furthermore, participants are expected to have a basic understanding of
mathematical tools (bachelor level), such as derivatives and
optimization. For students that want to refresh their math skills, there
may be a "Math Refresher". Further details will appear on Canvas.
LiteratuurTo be announced.
|Faculteit||School of Business and Economics|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. A.J.H. Pels|
|Examinator||dr. A.J.H. Pels|
prof. dr. E.T. Verhoef
dr. A.J.H. Pels
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: