Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThis course lets the student reflect on how to conduct research and what
is necessary to make a research project a success. In order to reach
this greater goal the student must be able to:
• know and apply The Netherlands Code of Conduct for Scientific
• reflect on his/her own favourite learning style;
• find adequate literature for his/her own research project;
• evaluate and write at different levels;
• evaluate literature that discusses his/her research topic;
• apply methodological literature;
• write a coherent, well-defined and methodologically correct research
• integrate feedback from different angles.
Inhoud vakResearch outcome mainly hit the tabloids for two reasons. It is either
an enormous breakthrough in some field of science or it is proven
enormously fraudulent. These circumstances, however, are two extremes of
a vast area in which scholars are doing their best to come to good
research results. No course can instruct a student how to reach a
breakthrough, but a course in research skills can at least teach how to
avoid the extremity of fraud or flawed science. This course aims to show
you how to set up research, starting with a text about the problem you
want to write about, its relevance for faith communities and society,
resulting in a good and workable
OnderwijsvormTWO LECTURES DURING PERIODS 1 AND 2.
Lectures in period 3.
Tutorials in period 3, in which the research proposal will be reviewed.
ToetsvormAssignments about finding literature, learning style, evaluation,
analysis, writing, etc (50%).
Definite research proposal according to the given format (50%): this
proposal must be approved by the tutorial leader and a possible thesis
supervisor before the course can be passed.
- Guidelines for Writing a Thesis ThRS (or: Nederlandse richtlijnen voor
het schrijven van een scriptie), see Canvas or VUnet.
- parts of M. Stausberg & S. Engler (eds). The Routledge Handbook of
Methods in the Study of Religion. Oxon: Routledge, 2011 (e-book UBVU).
- The Netherlands Code of Conduct for Scientific Practice: Principles of
good academic teaching and research. ‘s-Gravenhage: VSNU, third revised
edition, 2014 (website of vsnu).
- Aleth Bolt & Walter Bruins, Effective Scientific Writing: An Advanced
Learner's Guide to Better English. Amsterdam: VU University Press, 2017.
Required for empirical students (available via Canvas):
- Hamza Alshenqeeti, “Interviewing as a Data Collection Method: A
Critical Review.” English Linguistics Research, 2014, 3(1), 39-45.
- Jennifer Fereday et al., “Demonstrating Rigor Using Thematic Analysis:
A Hybrid Approach of Inductive and Deductive Coding and Theme
Development”. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 2006, 5(1),
Required for non-empirical students:
- Part of F.H. van Eemeren & A.F. Snoeck Henkemans. Argumentation:
Evaluation. New York & Oxon: Routledge, 2nd edition, 2017.
DoelgroepThis course is for all students of the three Master's programmes of the
faculty Religion and Theology, with two exceptions:
Students of SPIRITUAL CARE and BUILDING INTERRELIGIOUS RELATIONS will
not follow the course, but will prepare their research proposal during
Students of the RESEARCH MASTER will follow a different pathway in this
course. They will do tutorials on how to turn a paper into an academic
article by studying Aleth Bolt & Walter Bruins, Effective Scientific
Writing: An Advanced Learner's Guide to Better English (Amsterdam: VU
University Press, 5th edition, 2017). They will prepare their research
proposal during Research Design 1-2.
Overige informatie(1) One cannot enter this tutorials in January without having submitted
thesis proposal before 15 December 2018.
(2) This course can only be completed if the definite research proposal
is approved by the tutorial leader and a professor in the field of the
Afwijkende intekenprocedureParttime students may follow the course in two years. It is recommended to do the assignments in the first year and the research proposal in the second year.
|Faculteit||Faculteit Religie en Theologie|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. E. van Staalduine-Sulman|
|Examinator||dr. E. van Staalduine-Sulman|
dr. E. van Staalduine-Sulman
dr. V.A. van Bijlert
prof. dr. E.V. Tolstoj
dr. S. Sremac
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
|Werkvormen||Werkcollege, Hoorcollege, Werkgroep|
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: