Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakSocial cognition investigates the dynamics of people's thoughts, flings,
and behaviors as they occur in everyday social situations. Some of the
key questions in social cognition research are:
- How do people infer traits from the behavior of others?
- How do various kinds of stereotypes and prejudice influence our
judgments of and behavior towards others? What role does language play
in communicating stereotypes?
- Which factors shape how we think and feel about ourselves?
- What is the influence of the unconscious in our everyday judgments and
Social cognition thus challenges us to reassess our intuitions and
preconceptions about our own and others' behavior.
Inhoud vakThis course is about how we think (cognition) and feel (emotion) about
others. The course consists of lectures and students will design a
study in a smaller group. Each group consists of four persons and
will receive a recent target article in the area of emotion and social
cognition from the lecturer. They will design an experiment and present
this proposal to
the other students.
This course has the following learning goals:
- To be able to describe and understand the most important topics and
approaches in the field of Emotion and Social Cognition.
- To be able to think critically about design of experiments.
- To be able to explain results from a study and link these results to
- To be able to provide scientific arguments when discussing research
- Workgroup meetings
- Develop a research proposal with workgroup
- Presentation and discussion of the research proposal
- Group meetings with lecturer
Toetsvorm- The final grade for this course is composed of an exam grade, which
accounts for 70%, and a grade for the workgroup project, which counts
for 30%. To pass the course students need to have a 6 or higher for the
exam and a 6 or higher for the workgroup assignment.
- For the exam, students have to study the complete book, the lecture
material, research articles and the material discussed by their own
group. The exam will contain 40 multiple choice questions (a,b,c,d),
which accounts for 60% of the exam grade, and will contain 4 open-ended
questions, which will account for 40% of the exam grade.
- The lecturer will give feedback on the research proposals and
presentations and will grade them. The grade for the group project
will also takes into account the quality of the experiment.
- Presentations have to be in English and everybody has to present a
- Partial grades for the workgroups and for the exam remain valid for 2
Literatuur• Fiske, S. T., & Taylor, S. E. (2017). Social cognition: From brains to
culture (3rd edition). Sage.
• Several scientific articles.
Aanbevolen voorkennisIt is assumed that basic concepts of Social Psychology (introduced in
the first year bachelor program of psychology) are known.
|Faculteit||Fac. der Gedrags- en Bewegingswetensch.|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. K. Mortier|
|Examinator||dr. K. Mortier|
dr. K. Mortier
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: