Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakIn this course you will learn:
1. to identify different philosophical visions of science and (research)
ethics in the social sciences;
2. about contemporary views on the way in which (i) society, (ii) your
education and (iii) you as an individual influence the practice of
3. about the social and cultural character of scientific knowledge
4. to differentiate between aspects that relate to the philosophy of
science and (research) ethics in contemporary debates within the social
5. to reflect on your position within the academic world and to develop
your academic attitude;
6. to express your own views on debates within the social sciences in a
clear and well-substantiated manner;
7. to develop arguments, both orally and in written form, that are valid
Inhoud vak'Philosophy of Science' is a course for social sciences students and
forms part of the ‘academic core’ curriculum. The wider objective of
this course is to expand your understanding of the process of knowledge
acquisition in the social sciences more generally, and of your own
position as a scientist in particular.
The course looks at three fundamental themes within the philosophy of
the social sciences: naturalism, reductionism and the need for
normativity. Naturalism involves differentiating between explaining and
understanding; reductionism involves differentiating between holism and
individualism; and within normativity, the central distinction is
between values-based and non-values-based knowledge on the one hand, and
objectivity and relativism on the other.
OnderwijsvormLectures, seminars, tutorials.
ToetsvormWritten exam (60%) and assignments (40%).
Literatuur• Risjord, Mark (2014). Philosophy of Social Science. A Contemporary
Introduction. New York: Routledge.
• Digital copy of the reader, available on Canvas.
Doelgroep2nd year bachelor students in Cultural Anthropology and Development
Overige informatieBefore the start of the course, a programme syllabus will be
published on Canvas, including a timetable, precise instructions
(among others) tutorials and assignments, and a list of mandatory
|Faculteit||Faculteit der Sociale Wetenschappen|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. E. Koster|
|Examinator||dr. E. Koster|
dr. E. Koster
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.