Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vak• Students have an introductory understanding of various issues in
• Students are thoroughly familiar with applications of these issues to
questions about faith and reason;
• Students have close reading skills;
• Students have developed several philosophical skills: critical
thinking, argumentation analysis, conceptual analysis, interpretation
and comparative analysis;
• Students know how to develop, present, discuss, and defend their own
philosophically rigorous arguments.
Inhoud vakAre faith and reason diametrically opposed, as contemporary commentators
like Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett would have us believe? Or are
they different, complementary, or perhaps even mutually supportive? In
this course, we will explore some systematic perspectives on the
relation between faith and reason. We will do so by closely reading
selections from three ‘contemporary classics’ in analytic philosophy
of religion and epistemology. Together, these texts provide a solid
introduction to religious epistemology and particularly what has come to
be known as ‘reformed epistemology’. Since these works provide the
starting point for many later discussions about religious epistemology,
studying them carefully will put students in a good position to find
their own way in later debates.
OnderwijsvormClasses will be taught as a mix between traditional lectures and
interactive discussions, with presentations and active participation by
Toetsvorm• Three short assignments to test comprehension of the assigned readings
• Final paper of approximately 2,500 words in which students evaluate
and interact with (a relevant selection of) the assigned readings (50%)
• William Alston. Perceiving God. Cornell University Press, 1991
• Richard Swinburne. Revelation, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, 2007
• Alvin Plantinga. Warranted Christian Belief. Oxford University Press,
DoelgroepMandatory for students in the subprogramme Exploring a Discipline
"Philosophy and Religion", elective for Master's students of other
|Faculteit||Faculteit Religie en Theologie|
|Vakcoördinator||prof. dr. R. van Woudenberg|
|Examinator||prof. dr. R. van Woudenberg|
prof. dr. D.M.K.H. Grube MA
prof. dr. ir. G.J. de Ridder
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: