Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakAfter this course...
1. ...the student is able to solve linear systems of equations.
2. ...the student is able to invert matrices, and to characterise
3. ...the student is able to compute the determinant of a matrix, and to
use it in different linear algebra contexts.
4. ...the student can apply the theory of vector spaces to linear
algebra problems, can calculate a basis for (sub)spaces.
5. ...the student can calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a
matrix, can perform a diagonalisation, and can use these techniques to
study linear difference equations.
6. ...the student can orthogonalise a set of vectors, can work with
inner products and norms, and can perform projections on subspaces.
7. ...the student can show whether a quadratic form is positive or
negative definite, and can perform a Singular Value Decomposition.
8. ...the student can prove small linear algebra theorems in a logical
Inhoud vakThe following subjects will be covered in this course:
- solving systems of linear equations;
- linear (in)dependence;
- matrix operations;
- vector spaces and subspaces;
- basis and dimension of vector spaces;
- rank of a matrix, the rank theorem;
- coordinate systems and changes of basis;
- eigenvalues and eigenvectors;
- diagonalisation of matrices;
- LU and QR factorisations of a matrix;
- inner product, length, orthogonality;
- orthogonal projections, method of least squares;
- symmetric matrices and their orthogonal diagonalisation;
- quadratic forms;
- singular value decomposition of a matrix
OnderwijsvormEvery week there are two lectures and one exercise class, of two hours
ToetsvormThis course has two written exams, one in each period.
The Mathematics student additionally have four short written tests made
during the tutorials. You will have passed the course if you meet the
- at least a 5.0 for the first exam;
- at least a 5.0 for the second exam;
- at least a 5.5 on average;
- for Mathematics student: if you have attended at least 10 out of 14
The two exams and (for Mathematics students) the short tests together
form your final grade as follows:
a) for students in Econometrics & OR: 40% for exam 1 and 60% for exam 2.
b) for students in Mathematics: 30% for exam 1, 50% for exam 2, and 20%
for the average of the short tests.
Mathematics students that cannot or do not have to take part in the
tutorials (as decided by the study advisor, for example part time
students) receive their final grades using the rules for Econometrics &
OR students, so 40% for the first exam and 60% for the second.
Your final grade is rounded to the nearest half point, taking into
account that averages between 5.0 and 6.0 are rounded to the nearest
In case you failed the course, you need to take a resit to pass the
course, an exam that covers the entire contents of the course. For
mathematics students: the short tests form part of your resit grade, for
20%, if and only if this yields a higher final grade. For Econometrics &
OR students, only the resit exam counts towards your resit grade.
Vereiste voorkennisHigh school mathematics
LiteratuurDavid C. Lay, Stephen R. Lay and Judi J. McDonald, Linear Algebra and
its Applications, 5th edition, Pearson Global Edition,
DoelgroepBachelor Mathematics Year 1, Bachelor EOR Year 1
|Faculteit||Faculteit der Bètawetenschappen|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. R. Planque|
|Examinator||dr. R. Planque|
dr. R. Planque
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
|Werkvormen||Werkcollege, Deeltoets extra zaalcapaciteit, Hoorcollege|
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: