Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakBy conducting the research for the master thesis the student has to
finally demonstrate the mastering of the following competences:
1. Formulating a clear research problem that fits within the field of
entrepreneurship, and has scientific and practical relevance.
2. Presenting the problem in a theoretically relevant manner; The
student knows how to arrive at a useful theoretical framework or model
in order to research his/her problem statement. This is demonstrated by
a discussion of theories and/or models drawn from various perspectives
• relevant for the problem at hand
• described accurately, in-depth, and critically
3. Studying the problem in a suitable way, using an empirical approach
which is reflected in:
• a clear description of the method (in terms of data sources used,
respondents selected, techniques used, operational definitions et
• a correct application of the research method and interpretation of the
data and findings
4. Analyzing the problem critically using relevant theories, models and
methods and is able to draw correct, complete, and unequivocal
conclusions by providing an answer to the problem, which has been
clearly derived from the data.
5. Identifying shortcomings and of making practical and theoretical
recommendations that are based on conclusions, and that are
comprehensible, detailed, relevant, and realistic.
6. Reporting the research properly, indicated by
• a clear, consistent, and structured presentation;
• correct use of language;
• correct and complete references
7. Performing the research in an independent way
Inhoud vakThe Master's thesis must be written about a subject that is closely
related to the field of entrepreneurship. The main purpose of a Master’s
thesis is to train the ability to independently develop and conduct
original and relevant research. A thesis should contribute something new
to existing academic knowledge within the field of interest. This means
that a Master’s thesis is very much the type of project that will push
students to make the most of their intellectual abilities. The insights
gained while writing a Master’s thesis are useful for both an academic
career and a career within a business organization, as the academic
skills needed to do sound research are also important for solving
problems that companies may face. The thesis is an individual project
that will be supervised by a dedicated supervisor.
Vereiste voorkennisStudents need to have passed the following two courses before February
1st: "Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice" & "Entrepreneurship Research
Overige informatieThe thesis is coordinated bij dr. Y. Engel (UvA).
The allocation of supervisors to students takes place once a year and is
coordinated by the thesis coordinator. Students need to apply for thesis
supervision before January 9th by completing an online survey. In this
survey students provide an (initial) research question and a short
description of their preferred thesis topic. The thesis coordinator will
use this information to match students with supervisors.
The deadline for handing in the final thesis is 1 July. This is also the
date that supervision stops.
The resit deadline is August 16th. Submissions between the July 1 and
August 16 deadlines are seen as a revision. As a result, students that
hand in their thesis after July 1 cannot graduate Cum Laude.
Policy in case of failing to meet the 2nd deadline:
• Students who miss the August 16 deadline are subject to a grade
cap of 6,5.
• Students miss the August 16 deadline need to re-enroll in the
program and pay tuition fees for at least one additional semester.
• The deadline for submitting the final thesis in semester 1 is
• If the thesis is not a pass (< 6), the supervisor gives a final
round of feedback (by email), and the student needs to submit the
revised version by March 24.
• If the thesis handed in between January 30 and March 24 is not a
pass (< 6), students do not receive a final round of feedback to improve
• Late submissions in semester 2 need to comply with the deadlines
of regular students in the program that are mentioned above.
• Finally, students have the option to make a completely new start
with their thesis. This means they start over on April 1 (of the next
year) with the new cohort. Students that choose this option need to
contact the thesis coordinator by email before November 15. Be aware,
however, that all course credits will be lost if you do not finish the
thesis within 2 years of starting the program. In other words, this is a
very risky option.
|Periode||Ac. Jaar (sept)|
|Faculteit||School of Business and Economics|
|Vakcoördinator||prof. dr. E. Masurel|
|Examinator||prof. dr. E. Masurel|
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.