Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThe student learns to:
- Independently design and carry out interdisciplinary or
transdisciplinary research (under supervision)
- Recognise and address ethical implications of research results
and their interpretation
- Hold scientific discussions in interdisciplinary teams
- Expand their personal, specialised network
- Deal with uncertainties in interdisciplinary- and
- Critically reflect on their own research and work experiences
- Orally present and defend the research in front of both a
scientific and non-scientific audience
The student practices the following skills
- Independently designing a research project based on the research
proposal written in the ‘Writing research grant proposal’ course (under
- Independently collecting, processing and analysing data (under
- Communicating with different stakeholders involved in the
- Independently and responsibly working in a research organisation
- Monitoring the research quality
- Independently integrating theory and research data, which will
lead to the production of a scientific article (under supervision)
Inhoud vakIn this second research internship, a concrete interdisciplinary- or
transdisciplinary problem is formulated, based on descriptive and
analytical questions on different levels of aggregation (individual,
group, society, system). The complexity of the health problem, combined
with the transdisciplinary research methods makes this internship more
multifaceted compared to the first research internship.
The student starts with a literature scan to place the specific
interdisciplinary- or transdisciplinary research problem in context and
compare it with similar problems, and interpret it using an existing
global health system model. This analysis provides the basis for the
main research question as well as relevant sub-questions, and they will
determine the research methodology. Quantitative and qualitative
research methods are encouraged to gather data (observation,
questionnaires, interviews, focus group discussions and/or dialogue
The research project culminates in a research portfolio and a scientific
article written in English.
The 5-month research project is supervised by a scientific staff member
from one of the three collaborating partner institutes (VU, UvA, AMC).
OnderwijsvormIndividual supervision, meetings with the research team and progress
ToetsvormArticle and oral presentation. All parts need to be passed (6.0).
Vereiste voorkennisStudents need to have passed the exams of 24 EC of the compulsory
courses of year 1 and the courses Addressing the Burden of Disease and
Advanced Methodology ILA in Global Health of year 2 (12 EC) before they
can start the Global Health Master thesis.
DoelgroepSecond-year students of the research master in Global Health
Overige informatieObligatory component for Global Health students.
|Faculteit||Faculteit der Bètawetenschappen|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. E.V. Syurina MSc|
|Examinator||prof. dr. J.E.W. Broerse|
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.