Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThe aim of this course is to equip the student with the microeconomic
toolbox that is required to be able to structure and analyze economic
and policy questions in the fields of urban, regional, transport and
environmental economics from the economic viewpoint. These tools are
indispensible to successfully follow the remainder of the program.
By the end of the course the student will:
- be familiar with the main microeconomics principles, and know how to
analyze microeconomic problems using mathematical tools
- be familiar with the theory of spatial competition
- be familiar with the theory of cost functions for network sectors
- know the main concepts of consumer choice and firm behavior, and their
relevance for economic and welfare analysis
- be able to evaluate economic policy with regard to efficiency, and
know of the limitations to economic policy
- know possibilities and limitations in applied policy fields, such as
welfare analysis, regulation of industry, cost benefit analysis, and
policy coordination and competition
Inhoud vakThe first three weeks the lectures coincide with the lectures of
Microeconomics or Advanced Microeconomics. We refer to the description
that course for more information.
The last three weeks differ between the two courses. This course
(Microeconomics for Urban Transport and Environmental Economics) will
deal with topics that are of
interest in urban, regional, environmental and transport economics and
The following topics are addressed:
- Applied welfare analysis
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Cost functions: economies of scale, scope, density and networks
- Market structures in network sectors
- Product and price differentiation (including spatial competition)
- Market failures and public policy
- Government failures: Policy coordination and competition
OnderwijsvormThere will be two lectures each week in which the emphasis is on the
teacher's explanation of the essential material. Active participation of
the students is, however, expected in all lectures: class discussions
and making small exercises to better comprehend the material will be
part of all lectures. The tutorials will be devoted to discussion of
problem sets and exercises, where active participation of students is
Toetsvormtake- home interim examination and written interim examination
Vereiste voorkennisParticipants are expected to have a basic understanding of microeconomic
theory (bachelor level, e. g. Varian's Intermediate Microeconomics).
Aanbevolen voorkennisStudents wishing to refresh their math skills are encouraged to attend
the course "Math Refresher".
For more information about Math Refresher, see Canvas.
|Faculteit||School of Business and Economics|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. A.J.H. Pels|
|Examinator||dr. A.J.H. Pels|
dr. A.J.H. Pels
prof. dr. E.T. Verhoef
prof. dr. J.L. Moraga Gonzalez
dr. C.L. Behrens
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: