Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakLearning objectives, subdivided over the main topics of the course :
• Molecular Genetics; the student can:
- describe the composition and molecular structure of the human genome
- describe how genes look like and apply this knowledge in explaining
- indicate the differences between a bacterial and eukaryotic genome
- describe the process of transcription, RNA processing and translation
- indicate the relationship between regulation of gene expression, cell
differentiation and embryonic development
- describe mitosis and meiosis
- describe and recognize abnormalities in chromosome structure and
number, and explain the consequences
• DNA replication, mutations and diseases; the student can:
- describe the different stages of the cell cycle
- describe the process of DNA replication in prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- explain how environmental factors and certain chemical compounds can
damage DNA and cause mutations
- indicate the origin of mutations and describe DNA repair mechanisms
- define the different mutations at DNA and protein level and explain
the consequences for the functioning of genes and proteins
• Inheritance patterns; the student
- can identify and understand Mendelian and inheritance patterns
- can identify and explain non-Mendelian inheritance patterns
- can calculate and predict the likelihood of inheriting a particular
genetic trait for Mendelian and non-Mendelian modes of inheritance
• Experimental approaches: the student is able to:
- apply and explain experimental approaches that are used to study
genomes and genes as well as gene expression and the encoded proteins
- explain the importance and application of model systems, such as
yeast, Drosophila and mouse, to study genetics and the functions of
- apply mathematical skills in doing experiments and in analyzing
Inhoud vakIn this course, you will study the composition and structure of the
human genome, how it is replicated and inherited. We will discuss how
the stored information in chromosomes is retrieved and used, and how
genes are regulated at the molecular level to perform their function.
Important in this discussion is the genetic variation in the human
population. Particularly the ‘mistakes’ that are found in genes and
which can cause diseases. You will discover how these mutations arise,
what the consequences are, and how they can explain the various types of
You will practice and extend your knowledge via:
- Tutorials: making assignments and discuss them
- Laboratory practicals: become familiar with basic lab. skills and
molecular genetic experiments
- Computer practicals: introduction into bioinformatics and the use of
online databases containing genetic and molecular information about
human genes, proteins, mutations, and diseases.
Onderwijsvorm• Lectures (36 hours)
• Tutorials and assignments (8 hours)
• Computer practicals and assignments (8 hours)
• Laboratory practicals (12 hours)
• Book assignments (12 hours)
• Support via Canvas and the website associated with the book
Toetsvorm• Computer-based multiple choice Exam (85% of the final mark) consisting
of two partial exams:
Partial examination 1 (45%) in the fourth week and partial examination 2
(55%) in the eight week, each consisting of 75-80 multiple choice.
The grade for the exam is the average of the two partial exam grades. A
re-examination of a partial exam is not allowed. In case of a re-exam,
the re-exam covers all topics of the course.
• Computer and Tutorial assignments (15% of the final mark)
• Book assignments; should be made online via the Connect website of
the book; must be sufficient.
• Laboratory practicals / experiments: Execution and accurate record
keeping in Lab-Note book must be sufficient.
All test items must be at least 5.5. Compensation between test results
is not allowed.
Literatuur• Mandatory Book or eBook: 'Genetics, Analysis and Principles', by
Robert J. Brooker, 6th edition, McGraw-Hill.
>> Important: Only the books obtained from the VU bookstore contain the
access-code that is required to login to the book’s website and test
environment (McGraw - Connect). The ISBN with the Connect Access is SW
GENETICS: A&P W/CNCT+ LS 72 6 2018 9781526888914.
• Manual of the Lab practical and tutorial assignments plus Lab NoteBook
can be bought at the beginning of the course from the faculty
association Gyrinus Natans
• Other materials, such as assignment answers, etc., are provided via
the Canvas site of the course.
DoelgroepMandatory course for first-year BSc Biomedical Sciences students
Afwijkende intekenprocedureYou have to subscribe yourself to the module, the exam and any partial examinations via VUnet.
|Faculteit||Faculteit der Bètawetenschappen|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. J.M. Kooter|
|Examinator||dr. J.M. Kooter|
dr. J.M. Kooter
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
|Werkvormen||Computerpracticum*, Deeltoets extra zaalcapaciteit, Hoorcollege, Practicum*, Werkgroep*|
*Voor deze werkvorm kun je geen groep kiezen, je wordt hiervoor ingedeeld.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: