Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vak1. To acquire knowledge and understanding into theory of knowledge
valorisation in health and life sciences
2. To acquire knowledge and insight in how to organise, protect and
finance a business in health and life sciences
3. To acquire knowledge and understanding into the pharmaceutical
industry’s business model and business processes
4. To acquire knowledge and understanding into the challenges that face
the pharmaceutical industry
5. To apply newly acquired knowledge and understanding by solving case
6. To apply newly acquired knowledge and understanding in writing a
7. To reflect on and critically evaluate the role of the pharmaceutical
industry in the healthcare system
8. To learn to autonomously write a business plan
Inhoud vakAs a result of external factors (for example ageing of the population
and technological advancement, leading to increased healthcare costs),
our healthcare system is under pressure. As a central stakeholder in
this healthcare system, the pharmaceutical industry is facing
significant challenges. Business Management in the Health and Life
Sciences focuses on gaining insight in the pharmaceutical industry, its
business model, business processes,
challenges, as well as strategies and actions to overcome these
During the course, prof.dr. Eric Claassen together with highly
experienced guest lecturers from the field will
teach theoretical and practical knowledge during lectures and seminars.
Tangible subjects that will be discussed during the lectures and
seminars include the pharmaceutical industry’s business model and
business processes, intellectual property, portfolio management,
finance, risk capital, grants and subsidies, team building and people
management, different legal entities, fiscal and legal aspects when
starting a new company, SWOT analysis in the life sciences and clinical
The newly acquired knowledge is tested via an assignment during which
students will write either a personal career business plan or a ‘real’
business plan (40% of the total grade), a written exam (50% of the total
grade), and a computer seminar (10% of the final grade).
OnderwijsvormLectures: +-50 h
Computer seminars: 7,5 h
Work on assignment and self-study: +- 40h
Personal Business Plan: 40%
Computer seminar: 10%
All parts have to be passed successfully.
LiteratuurLectures provide key material to this course. The following book can be
used as background to the lectures:
• Osterwalder, A. & Pigneur, Y. (2009). Business model generation.
The course’s assignment is to write either a ‘real’ business plan or a
'personal' business plan. When writing a business plan, students are
recommended to use the following books:
• Kubr, Marchesi & Ilar (McKinsey & company). (1998). Starting up.
Achieving success with professional business planning. McKinsey &
Company, Inc. The Netherlands, Amstel 344, 1017 AS Amsterdam.
• Clark (2012). Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing
Your Career. Business Model You, LLC.
DoelgroepOptional course for Master students Management, Policy Analysis and
Entrepreneurship in Health and Life Sciences (MPA), Societal
differentiation of the Health, Life & Natural Sciences.
Overige informatieGuest lecturers, companies/organisations:
• Robert Al, TU Eindhoven
• Bart van Wezenbeek, Vereenigde
• Bart Bergstein, Forbion Capital partners
• Rob Helmich, Herakles Pharma
• Marga Janse, Innovatief LerenLeren BV
• Yp Kroon & Peter van Dongen, NL Octrooicenrtum
• Jeroen Dekker, Price Waterhouse Coopers
• Arjan Bisseling, AsjesBisseling Belastingadviseurs
• Henk Viëtor, FFund
• Olaf Larsen, Yakult Nederland
• Geke van der Ende, IQVIA
|Faculteit||Faculteit der Bètawetenschappen|
|Vakcoördinator||drs. ing. E.M. Janse|
|Examinator||prof. dr. H.J.H.M. Claassen|
prof. dr. H.J.H.M. Claassen
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: