Dit vak wordt in het Engels aangeboden. Omschrijvingen kunnen daardoor mogelijk alleen in het Engels worden weergegeven.
Doel vakThis course is the first in the line of our academic core, teaching you
mathematical thinking and working (Quantitative and research skills).
During this course you will get acquainted with a number of important
mathematical topics and some basic quantitative tools for business and
economics. These tools are not only relevant in an academic research
setting, but also help to solve business and economics problems
(Bridging theory and practice – knowledge). You will not only learn the
techniques as such, but you will also learn the art of abstraction from
a real-world problem to a formal problem, and back from a formal answer
to a real-world answer (Bridging theory and practice – application).
After successfully completing this course you are able to:
• properly use mathematical notation (both passively and actively);
• use the summation operator and product operator;
• calculate and interpret descriptive statistics (mean, variance,
• work with the elementary principles of probability theory (random
variables, probability, distribution function, expectation, variance);
• differentiate functions of one or more variables;
• visualize implicit functions through level curves and differentiate
• integrate simple functions;
• determine when you need derivatives and integrals;
• use vectors and matrices;
• calculate from a function the elasticity;
• find extreme values of functions of one or two variables;
• find extreme values of functions of one or two variables under a
constraint, using the Lagrange method;
• apply operations (transpose, inner product) on vectors and matrices;
• use and calculate the inverse of a matrix;
• solve systems of linear equations;
• formulate a linear programming problem;
• type formulas in Microsoft Word;
• use Microsoft Excel, including the Solver add-in, for modelling
Inhoud vakMathematics is a challenging, but highly relevant topic for any student
in economics. The process resulting in a market and price equilibrium is
a good example that is intensively studied in economics and that
requires mathematical skills. In the business and economics literature
we see many mathematical models, for instance for assessing risks and
optimizing option portfolios. Using such models requires a basic
understanding of mathematical principles related to multi-variable
calculus, optimization, and expectations. Further, today’s simple
calculations require basic skills in setting up and handling
spreadsheets and typesetting formulas. This course therefore also
addresses such general skills.
Moreover, mathematics is more than just calculations and numbers, it is
language. A language that is essential to understand if you want to
develop and acquire an analytical way of thinking that is not only at
the core of any academic, but also the successful economics or business
professional. It is a first step on the path of understanding the power
of quantitative and mathematical approaches to problems you will face as
a business and economics student.
Vereiste voorkennisNot applicable.
LiteratuurSydsæter, Knut, Peter Hammond, and Arne Strøm (2016), Essential
Mathematics for Economic Analysis, fifth Edition, Pearson Education
Additional documents via Canvas.
Overige informatieMandatory for Binding Study Recommendation on Continuation of Studies
Recommendation (‘BSA’) in year 1.
You will work with the software packages Word (including the equation
editor) and Excel (including the Solver add-in). These programs are
available on computers at the campus of the university. You may wish to
purchase a cheap license for home use at http://www.surfspot.nl/. At the
intermediate tests we use the English language versions for Windows.
Aanbevolen voorkennisActive command of mathematics at high school level. It can be helpful to
refresh your skills in advance. The Vrije Universiteit offers an online
summer school for this (see http://sbe.prep-campus.nl/).
|Faculteit||School of Business and Economics|
|Vakcoördinator||dr. R. Heijungs|
|Examinator||dr. R. Heijungs|
Voor dit vak moet je zelf intekenen.
Voor dit vak kun je last-minute intekenen.
|Werkvormen||Instructiecollege, Hoorcollege, Computerpracticum|
Dit vak is ook toegankelijk als: